Everything you need to know about student financial aid is right here.
The menu to the left will tell you everything you need to know about getting financial aid at Bay State. Financial aid is available to those who qualify, and we are here to guide you every step of the way, from your first questions through your final application.
Every student has different needs. We’ll put the right package together for you.
Our college financial aid staff works one on one with every student. Whether you’re seeking scholarships and grants, loans, payment plans, or some combination, we can guide you to find out what is best for your specific situation.
Have specific questions? Get directly in touch to get your answers. Please feel free to call the financial aid department at (617) 217-9858.
Just follow these 5 easy steps!
1) Create your FSA ID
On May 10, 2015, FSA ID replaced the Federal Student AID PIN. The PIN, which had been in use since 1998, was a four-digit numeric code used together with personally identifying information to log in to FSA websites. If you have not logged in to a Federal Student Aid website—such as FAFSA, StudentLoans.gov, or the National Student Loan Data System—since May 10th, you will need to go create an FSA ID. Your PIN will no longer work.
In approximately one to three business days, after your information has been verified with the Social Security Administration (SSA), you will be able to use your FSA ID to access your personal information on Federal Student Aid websites.
2) Collect financial documents and complete the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online
Please note: When completing the FAFSA, you will be prompted to link your financial information from the IRS into your application. This feature cannot be used until 2 weeks after you have filed your 2016 federal taxes electronically or up to 8 weeks when filing on paper. **The college may request a copy of your 2016 IRS tax transcript.
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Select "Start a New FAFSA" (if this is your first time completing the FAFSA). Select "Login" if you are renewing or making corrections to a FAFSA
- Enter your FSA ID.
- Please Note: If you are starting at Bay State College from January 2018 to May 2018, select "2017–2018 FAFSA." For those students starting in the fall of 2018, the "2018-2019 FAFSA" will need to be completed.
- The 2018-2019 FAFSA is now available using your 2016 federal tax information. Bay State College priority deadline is March 1, 2018.
- Create your "save key".
- Please use School Code 003965 for Bay State College.
- If you are a dependent student, your parent should e-sign the FAFSA utilizing their own FSA ID.
In order to maximize your financial aid eligibility please file your FAFSA by Bay State College's priority deadline of March 1, 2018.
If needed, tax filers can request a transcript, (free of charge) of their 2016 tax return from the IRS using one of the following options:
Contact the IRS: www.IRS.gov.
- Get Transcript by MAIL – Go to www.IRS.gov, under the Tools heading, click "Get a tax transcript.” Click “Get Transcript by MAIL.” Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the “IRS Tax Account Transcript.” The transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the online request.
- Get Transcript ONLINE – Go to www.IRS.gov, under the Tools heading, click "Get a tax transcript." Click “Get Transcript ONLINE.” Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the “IRS Tax Account Transcript.” To use the Get Transcript Online tool, the user must have (1) access to a valid email address, (2) a text-enabled mobile phone (pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used) in the user’s name, and (3) specific financial account numbers (such as a credit card number or an account number for a home mortgage or auto loan). The transcript displays online upon successful completion of the IRS’s two-step authentication.
- Automated Telephone Request – 1-800-908-9946. Transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the telephone request.
- Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ or IRS Form 4506-T. The transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the paper request form.
3) Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling
If you are a first-time Bay State College student loan borrower, you are required to complete student loan entrance counseling and an electronic Master Promissory Note. This required tutorial explains the rights and responsibilities for the borrower.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Click “Sign In” and enter your FSA ID
- Click “Complete Counseling"
- Click Entrance Counseling
- Select Bay State College: Search by state, and input school name. Click "notify this school".
4) Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- To complete your electronic Stafford Master Promissory Note, go to www.studentloans.gov. Click on the blue "Log In" button (top left).
- Click "Complete Master Promissory Note".
- Click "Subsidized/Unsubsidized" loans and begin to follow the instructions for completing and signing your electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN).
5) Call the Financial Aid planning office to set up an appointment to discuss your award
Making the decision to attend college is exciting, but navigating the financing process can be a bit overwhelming. That's where we come in. We have financial aid counselors here to walk you through the process and help make a Bay State College education a reality!