Federal Work Study FAQs

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides funds that are earned through part-time employment on and off-campus to assist students in financing the costs of post-secondary education. Choose a link below to find out more!

What is work-study?

The work study program is a means by which students can earn money by working for Bay State College. The students who fulfill these positions are often referred to as student workers. Some student workers are paid by Bay State College, and some student workers are paid by Federal funds (known as Federal Work Study or FWS) as part of their financial aid award.

Are all students eligible to work on campus?

Yes, any student may apply for an on-campus job, whether or not they are eligible for Federal Work Study funding. 

Is everyone eligible for Federal Work-Study (FWS) funding?

No. Federal Work Study funding is considered financial aid. You must have completed the financial aid application process AND be approved for FWS funding in order to be paid through FWS.  Remember though - any student, regardless of financial aid status, can apply for an on campus job – the difference is in how you are paid.

Can I participate in work-study if I am an international student?

If you are an international student, you must be enrolled and attending classes for 1 full semester with a GPA of 2.5 or higher to be eligible to work. In addition, you will only be allowed to work on-campus. International students are not eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) funding. Please contact Jeremy Shepard in Academic Affairs PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR A POSITION to check your eligibility to work on campus. 

l'm a new student - can I participate in work study?

New students who are seeking jobs must be enrolled and attending classes when they begin work. All other application processes apply.

If Federal work study is part of my financial aid award, am I guaranteed an on-campus position?

No. All students desiring to work on campus must apply and be hired for the position. Positions are limited. 

How do I find a work-study position?

All work-study positions on-campus are listed HERE and are updated as new positions become available. Hurry, because these positions go fast. See each job description for specific application instructions. Note that most positions open in the Fall Semester and only a few positions remain open for the Spring Semester.

Can I work off campus through work-study?

A small number of Federal Work Study positions are available off campus. Only those who are awarded Federal Work Study aid are eligible to work off-campus through the FWS program. FWS positions off-campus are marked  as (FWS). They are usually offered through non-profit organizations. Bay State College has formal agreements with specific non-profits for these positions. If you find a non-profit you would like to work with as a FWS partner or would like to find out more, please contact Career Services.

How do I get started?

The first step is to apply and be hired for a work study job!

Once you are hired, please download and complete the Student Worker Paperwork Kit. You may also pick up a printed copy in the Career Services office. This kit contains all the instructions, forms, and steps you need to take in order to complete your hire. 

You must bring your completed paperwork to Human Resources before you can begin work. Human Resources is located on the 2nd floor of 31 St. James Avenue.

What's in the Paperwork Kit?

The kit contains all the paperwork and a checklist you must complete to finalize your hiring. Remember, you don't need the kit unless you are hired for a work-study position.