Top 5 Things to Do in Boston During the Holidays
With every season comes a new reason (or reasons) to visit Boston, and one could easily argue that the holiday season is the most beautiful. With shops and restaurants decked out with lights and decorations, the streets bustling with Christmas shoppers, and festive music wherever you go, it’s hard not to get in the holiday spirit.
Many of our prospective students take this time of year to visit campus, and we can’t blame them! As our Open House approaches this weekend, we wanted to take some time to give you our picks for the best (and most festive) activities close by. That way, you can attend our Open House on Sunday morning, and take the rest of the day to enjoy the city!
- Skating on the frog pond. Skating on the frog pond is a fun activity for the whole family. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to city or if you have been a life-long resident, partaking in this Boston tradition will put a smile on your face. When you’re finished skating, warm up with a cup of hot cocoa or a fresh Belgian waffle in the Frog Pond Café.
- Boston Common Christmas Tree. Once you’re done at the frog pond, stroll across the Boston Common to see Boston’s Christmas tree. For the 42nd year, the 47-foot white spruce was donated by Nova Scotia as a way of thanking Boston for providing emergency assistance when its capital was devastated by an explosion in 1917.
- Stroll Newbury Street. Arguably some of Boston’s best shopping is located just a street away from Bay State College on Newbury Street. Even if you’re just window shopping, it’s always fun to take a walk down Newbury during the holidays.
- The Shops at Prudential Center. Shop, Shop, Shop! The Shops at Prudential Center is a great location to get some of your holiday shopping accomplished. With some of the most popular stores and dozens of places to get a quick bite to eat, you will be done in no time! You might even catch some live holiday music if you time it right!
- Commonwealth Avenue Mall. We might be a little biased since our flagship building as well as other Bay State College buildings are located right on Commonwealth Ave, but this beautiful greenway punctuated with historical statues and memorials becomes one of the most picturesque spots in Boston during the holidays.
Let us know what you end up doing on your trip into the city, and feel free to share you photos with us on Instagram by using #baystatecollege.
Wishing you a happy holiday season!