8 Tips on How to Make it Through Finals Week
This is it! One last week before a much deserved winter break, but it's an important one! Final exam week can be stressful and daunting. Take a look at our top 8 tips on how to make it through.
- Take a break. Schedule a 15-minute break after 45-90 minutes of study, research or focused work. Even a break to chat with friends or grab a cup of coffee will help you return to your work with fresh eyes and new ideas.
- Make lists and stay organized. Make a list of all your finals and set aside time to study for each of them.
- Cut out distractions. Productive multitasking is a myth. A recent study found that students who text, study and watch TV simultaneously actually accomplish less than students who focus on one task at a time. Focus on one subject, paper or project at a time and only utilize social media or email during scheduled breaks. Distractions interrupt important study time and make it more difficult to focus. It might even be a good idea to disable distracting social media outlets until finals are done.
- Stop procrastinating. It actually takes more time to procrastinate on a project or paper than it does to complete it. Proper time management creates less stress as the semester draws to a close.
- Make studying fun. Nobody likes to study for finals. Find a creative way to make studying fun. Form study groups, make flashcards or use pneumonic devices to make studying for finals less boring.
- Think positive. A positive attitude is sometimes difficult to muster during a time of high stress. However, keeping a positive attitude will help you overcome your finals. The power of positive thinking makes daunting tasks less overwhelming and boring study time less tedious.
- Take care of yourself. Eat healthy and sleep. Proper brain food will help you sustain a difficult study schedule at the end of the semester. Brains also need time to recharge and refresh after studying. Try to get at least 6 hours of sleep each night, but 8 hours is preferred to perform at peak capacity.
- Reward yourself. Once you achieve your goals or complete difficult study tasks, reward yourself. You’ve earned it! Incentives help keep you motivated through the end of the year.
Before you know it, you'll be done with finals and ready to celebrate your winter break. Good luck to you all!