Credit for Prior Learning & Assessment

Earning Credit for What You Already Know.

At Bay State College, what matters is that you possess college-level knowledge – not how you acquired it. We provide our Online Undergraduate Degree students the opportunity to earn credit when they demonstrate that they possess college-level knowledge in a specific subject area. We have several methods to help students do just that:

  1. Test out of specific courses, students may choose to complete the following exams:
    • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
    • Excelsior College and UExcel Exam
    • DANTES DSST Exams
  2. Credit for Significant work experience or training
    • If you have had significant work experience or training in a specific field and you believe it equates to college-level learning, we invite you to explore the option of securing credit for work/life experience through a Prior Learning Assessment course with LearningCounts, our partner organization.
  3. Military Training
    • Students with military experience may earn credit, depending on the military training documented in Army American Council on Education Transcript System (AARTS) and Sailor-Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART), transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force, or the Coast Guard Institute.
  4. Professional Training
    • Students may earn credit for professional training programs they have completed that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service or the National College Credit Recommendation Service.

In order to receive credit for work/life experience, students must demonstrate that they possess knowledge equivalent to college-level learning. Please speak with your admissions representative if you believe you may qualify.






Is financial aid available?


Each student has the opportunity to meet with his or her dedicated tuition planner and discuss his or her financial aid options in more detail. Your tuition planner can also help you complete your FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).