Everything you need to know about student financial aid is right here.
The menu to the left will tell you everything you need to know about getting financial aid at Bay State. Financial aid is available to those who qualify, and we are here to guide you every step of the way, from your first questions through your final application.
Every student has different needs. We’ll put the right package together for you.
Our college financial aid staff works one on one with every student. Whether you’re seeking scholarships and grants, loans, payment plans, or some combination, we can guide you to find out what is best for your specific situation.
Have specific questions? Get directly in touch to get your answers. Please feel free to call the financial aid department at 617.217.9186.
Just follow these 5 easy steps!
1) Apply for a U.S. Department of Education PIN
- If you do not already have a PIN, go to www.pin.ed.gov and click on the "Apply for a PIN" icon and follow the instructions.
- If you are a dependent student, please also have one of your parents apply for a PIN.
- You will receive a confirmation page once you have completed the PIN process.
- See Related Links to the right for more information
2) Collect financial documents and complete the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online
Please note: When completing the FAFSA, you will be prompted to link your financial information from the IRS into your application. This feature cannot be used until 2 weeks after you have filed your 2014 federal taxes electronically or up to 8 weeks when filing on paper. **The college may request a copy of your 2013 IRS tax transcript.
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Select "Start a New FAFSA" (if this is your first time completing the FAFSA). Select "Login" if you are renewing or making corrections to a FAFSA
- Read the instructions and select "2015–2016 FAFSA."
- If you meet the browser requirements select "Next" and then select "Yes" to sign your application using your PIN.
- Next you will CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY and CREATE YOUR PASSWORD and then enter the information requested to complete the FAFSA. Please use School Code 003965 for Bay State College.
- If you are a dependent student, your parent should e-sign the FAFSA utilizing their own 4 digit PIN.
In order to maximize your financial aid eligibility please file your FAFSA by Bay State College's priority deadline of March 31, 2015
Tax filers can request a transcript, (free of charge) of their 2014 tax return from the IRS using one of the following options:
Online Request (www.irs.gov)-preferred method
- Under the “Tools” section of the homepage click “Get Transcript for My Tax Records”
- Click “Get Transcript ONLINE.”
- If this is your first time you must Click "Create an Account"
- Enter information requested (Name, and email). You will receive a confirmation code in your email to use on next screen. (Confirmation code can often take up to 15 minutes to be received depending on email provider)
- Enter confirmation code and click "Verify Email confirmation code".
- Enter the tax filer’s Social Security Number, date of birth, filing status, street address, and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Click “Continue”.
- You will be asked a series of challenge questions, similar to when you request a credit report. You have 3 chances to answer correctly. if you do not know the answers, it is better to close out of the system and start over as the next time you log in you will get a different set of questions.
- In the Get transcript field, select “Higher Education/ Student Aid” and in the Tax Year field, select“2014.”
- Once you click on 2014 a copy of your Tax Transcript will appear on the screen. Simply print and send to the Financial Aid Office.
Telephone Request (1-800-908-9946)
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter “2014.”
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
Walk In Request
- Check the website below for IRS office locations that offer walk in transcript requests
- If you reside in the Boston area you can go to the JFK Federal Building at 15 New Sudbury St. Boston, MA 02203 (Green Line T, get off @ Government Center)
- Hours of operation are M-F from 8:30 – 4:30 (walk ins only, no appointments)
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript on the spot and do not have to wait for it to be mailed.
3) Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Entrance counseling
If you are a first-time Bay State College student loan borrower, you are required to complete student loan Entrance counseling and an electronic Stafford Master Promissory Note. This required tutorial explains the rights and responsibilities for the borrower of the Federal Stafford Loan.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Click “Sign In” and enter your information
- Click “Complete Counseling"
- Click Entrance Counseling
4) Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- To complete your electronic Stafford Master Promissory Note, go to www.studentloans.gov. Click on the green "Sign In" button (top left).
- Enter your social security number, first 2 letters of last name, date of birth, and FAFSA pin number.
- Click "Complete Master Promissory Note".
- Click "Subsidized/Unsubsidized" loans and begin to follow the instructions for completing and signing your electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN).
5) Call the Financial Aid office to set up an appointment to discuss your award
- Your Financial Aid Counselor will work with you and your family to ensure that you have all the information necessary to make financial decisions that will allow you the opportunity to attend Bay State College.