Parent Resource Center
The most patient parents can be challenged while their student decides about the future. Because college is a time of exposure to new ideas and increased knowledge about career options, a student’s need to explore may increase and the length of time this takes will vary considerably. Being knowledgeable about today’s job market is an important part of being supportive.
Keep in mind the following points:
- The job market is changing faster now than at any other time in history.
- Advances in technology are influencing every aspect of the marketplace.
- A large percentage of future jobs will require the skill level obtained through at least two years of post-secondary training or a four-year college education.
- Job opportunities are evolving at a rapid pace. Many of the jobs that are in existence today weren’t heard of just ten years ago.
- Because of the rapid evolution of jobs, people entering the workforce today are expected to change careers three to four times during their lifetime.
- Life-long learning will be a fact of life for all workers in order to continuously upgrade needed skills in the ever-changing work world.